I’m Caroline Liu, and I’m a designer at heart. It makes me happy to see things align, stray pixels put in their place, and letters nicely kerned. My love for nice structure also makes its way into my code, and may explain why I fell in love with version control at first sight even though learning how to use the related tools efficiently was (and still is) a difficult journey.
Though I love structure, my mind has a curiously potent ability to come up with ridiculous stories and visuals, some of which have made its way onto the Internet in the form of this website. It has kept me entertained on long bus rides and given me ingenious ideas, and so while my overactive imagination makes me a worry-wort sometimes, I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. I invite you to check out some of my comics and illustrations, which may reveal who I am better than what these few sentences can do.
I’m currently looking to be a part of something right now, so if you’re looking for someone to work with, maybe we’ll be a good match! Email me maybe, at firstname.lastname@example.org?
Here’s some of the things I can do:
- Front-end and back-end web development
- Designing posters and other print material
- User research, prototyping, and usability testing
- Illustration and drawing random things
- Writing for a wide range of audiences and media, including articles, newsletters, comics, research papers, and emails requesting funding for academic conferences
- Juggling several projects simultaneously
- Being a contributing and constructive team member, regardless of whether that team codes, does UX design, or plans events
…and here are languages and applications that I work with:
- Python, Java, C
- SQL, XML, XPath, XQuery
- GIMP, Inkscape, Adobe InDesign
- OpenOffice, Microsoft Word/PowerPoint, LaTeX
- Subversion, NetBeans, Listserv, SPSS Statistics
Finally, some professional and not-so-professional interests I regularly pursue: User experience design, accessible web, information management, experimental design, language comprehension, BBC programming (including but not limited to QI, Doctor Who, Sherlock, and The Infinite Monkey Cage), Korean dramas.
If my skills might be what you’re looking for, feel free to email me and we can discuss our possible future together!